COLDRAIN, the new blackened, post metallic screamo act featuring Strasbourg based artists Thibaut, Marc, Vincent & Nicolas, three-fourths of now defunct French screamo act UWAGA, capture an entire universe of sound from many spectrums of atmospheric punk and metal music. Their new release “1986” features one new song and two old songs linked together into a captivating sonic adventure that leaves the listener with an outstanding, heartrending first impression. The record revives their introspective blend of post rock tinged screamo and post black metal, while simultaneously looking outward for new, surprisingly catchy takes and great perspectives for the future. This is just great!
Comments the band: “We’re basicaly mixing Hardcore Punk with some black metal vibes and sometimes we like to add a teaspoon of dancing post-punk. The name “Coldrain” is derived from the song by Comadre we used to cover back in our punk years.”
“We decided to add the intro “Lone Signal” and the intermezzo “T.A.M” on separate tracks so listeners can skip them if they want. These two instrumental tracks were created using the musical themes that appear in our songs and put them together in a kind of operatic scheme.” – they continue.
Asked about the content behind their music, COLDRAIN explain: “The first track “8-46″ is about the police, racist and violent. It’s inspired by protestors being molested during strikes in France and by a racist agression comited by the police against a black music producor in Paris. The title is a discret reference to the death of George Floyd.”
“The second and the third track are the fifth and sixth part of our work on space travel. Part four and part one were on our first release and part two and part three should be on the next. All those six parts, once brought together, tell the story of two people lost on a ship somewhere in space. They go through many emotional states, from euphoria to loneliness and share old memories from earth.”
COLDRAIN are currently working on their third DIY release and are hoping to play some gigs this year.
To extend the ever-immersive subject of space travels, COLDRAIN gave us a special list of books, movies, albums and paintings to bring with you on your next space trip!
Some books to bring with you on your next space trip:
- The City and the Stars / Arthur C. Clarke
- Une Saison en Enfer (trad : “A Season In Hell”) / Arthur Rimbaud
- The Inverted World / Christopher Priest
- American Psycho / Brett Easton Ellis
Some graphic novels to bring with you on your next space trip:
- Shangri-La / Mathieu Bablet
- Blake & Mortimer : L’enigme de L’atlantide / Edgar P Jacob
- Objectif Lune & On a marché sur la Lune / Hergé
- Scott Pilgrim / Bryan Lee O’Malley
Some movies to bring with you on your next space trip:
- Brazil / Terry Gilliams
- Tree of Life / Terrence Malik
- Le Parfum (trad : “Perfume: The Story of a Murderer”) / Tom Tykwer
- Forrest Gump / Robert Zemeckis
Some albums to bring with you on your next space trip:
- Explosion In The Sky / All of a Sudden, I Miss Everyone
- Chet baker / Chet baker sings
- Blink 182 / Ennema of the State
- NoFX / So Long and Thanks for the Shoes
Some pieces of art to decorate the walls of your cockpit:
- Prelude to a civilization / Victor Brauner
- a painting by Nicolas’ mum
- Le retable d’issenheim / Matthias Grünewald