A month away from their recent performance at this year’s post rock / post metal celebration called dunk!festival in Zottegem, Belgium, drummer Maik Parker of German instrumental black drone metal experimentalists [ B O L T ] sat down with us to discuss the atmopsheric live experience of their craft, their latest record (04) released on Narshardaa Records and dunk!records in November 2017, experimenting within well explored soundscapes, and more.
( 0 4 ) is the first full-length by [ B O L T ] as a trio. In comparison to their earlier output the sound is more propulsive and structured. Emerging out of oppressive silence and ending up in ecstatic noise and drone, [ B O L T ] create waving sounds and crushing riffs. The trio presents a set in between the genres of drone, doom and metal.
Emerging out of oppressive silence and ending up in ecstatic noise and drone, creating waving sounds and crushing riffs. A sound in between the genres of drone, doom and metal.
Abstracted / Ambient / Black / Deep / Doom / Drone / Experimental / Hauling / Low / Metal / Noise / Opaque / Ponderous / Repetitious / Slow / Tenebrous.
1. Hey there guys! How are you? How’s Duisburg? You’ve just returned from your late-March tour, right? How was it?
2. Tell us more about the live drone, ambient metal experience you deliver live on stage. What do you get out of playing music that’s as narcotic and lethargic as the one you’ve managed to craft on ( 0 4 )?
3. Considering your live setup, what freedoms and limitations come from playing as a trio?
4. Now that it’s out for a couple of months, how do you feel about your new opus? Do you find your creative force to have been stronger when making your first full length?
5. Originality and unique approach in music are usually preceded by a phase of discovering, learning and, often, emulating others (not to be confused with copying others). How would you describe your own path towards your own vibe and feel of the well documented genre?
6. What boundaries do you think this style of moody music still needs to push?
7. Is it more important for you to create a pure sonic experience or to create an atmosphere that evokes certain themes and issues? Despite your instrumental nature, are there stories or certain plots behind your work?
8. Ok, so what are the next plans for [ B O L T ]?
9. Lastly, could you talk about some of the other projects you guys do as individuals other than [ B O L T ] and other noteworthy artists that recently caught your attention?
10. Great, thanks so much! Feel free to add your final words and take care! Cheers from Warsaw!