News Stories

VENGEANCE TODAY South East Asian tour diary

51 mins read

I am super proud to give you a full exclusive tour report from German hardcore act VENGEANCE TODAY, who have recently released a new EP via Epidemic RecordsAnchored RecordsBeyond Hope Records, SubZine Records and 5 Feet Under Records. The band spent the first half of March in South East Asia playing 9 shows in Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines and Indonesia. Learn more about their crazy adventure by diving into this lengthy mixture of 2 thing we all truly love: music and travel.

The diary is available in both English and the band’s native German language // Live photos by Iman Firmansyah Abd Malik // Cast: Carsten (the band’s tour manager and bass player), Tariq (the Arab guys / guitar player), Johann (the Russian / singer) and Philipp (drummer). // Words by Tariq Lorenz // Translation by Johann Reising (edited by Carsten Richter)

United Kingdom

Monday, March 2nd -11:19 pm – Dubai local time

A big part of our trip’s beginning is already done. While we’re sitting in Fly Emirates’ brand new Airbus A380 that provides WiFi, cell phone charging station and a TV monitor, I’ll try to prepare the people who read this for what’s going to happen on the following days. The ones, who want to read this lines attentively should prepare themselves for a tough and neutral journalistic reporting which is 100% free of sarcasm, cynicism and any kind of fun. Herewith the tour diary for the VENGEANCE TODAY South East Asia tour 2015 starts.


It begins with what happened in the last 36 hours. On Sunday, March 1st, we hooked up at 4 pm (on the normal clock) and 4:30 pm (on the clock of our Russian frontman) in the place of our bass player and tour manager Carsten. His organization shown already from the start some wretched flaws, which should be mentioned in the following lines. His first action was trying to get 100 t-shirts into the bags of all. A difficult process, but he mastered it almost as good as he managed to pick the most inappropriate train connection to Frankfurt/Main. Apparently he sorted all the possible train connections by the amount of train changes and chose the connection with the most changes. A clever organizational move. Anyway, the train went 5:30 pm to Leipzig then to Halle then to Frankfurt’s train station and THEN to the airport where we arrived at 11:12 pm. The cell phone’s GPS  predicted a 25 minutes walk to the hostel. Skillfully set up, considering that everyone had 30 kg of baggage. But our tour manager is a man of solutions instead of problems. So after perceived 3 km of walk he get the completely absurd idea to take a taxi for the short distance. His raised awareness was confirmed once again. At 11:45 pm we arrived at the hostel. On the next morning we stood up at 6:30 am and dragged ourselves to the airport. Of course by foot. With 30 kg baggage each. Why? Because the guy from hostel’s reception said it’s okay to walk. Of course, our tour manager is a person who follows the gleeful suggestions of hotel employees rather than the common sense. Nevertheless we got to the terminal soaked with sweat to the bone and the racist mob was already awaiting the Arab victims. But I successfully passed the security control including a body search and an extra examination due to the suspicion of explosives trafficking in my reflex camera. I don’t think I need to mention the malicious joy of the other guys. „The main thing is to have fun“ is our device  from now on. The biggest adventure started as we finally got on the plane to Dubai. 5 hours flight than 4 hours stopover in Dubai airport and then 5 more hours flight to Bangkok.

Thursday, March 5th – 3:58 pm – Bangkok local time

The last two days have been as beautiful as exhausting. On Tuesday morning 7:00 am local time (0:00 am in Europe) we arrived at the airport in Bangkok. Out of the plane – into the turmoil. Security check, visa issues, baggage claim and out into the crushing, sultry heat. Already at 8:00 am there is a 25 °C temperature and an 80% air humidity. Our end couldn’t be far off. Still not impressed enough by the heat, our tour manager got the idea to take the Sky Train to the hostel which means also to accept the walks from the stations. But praise the Lord! The tour damager decided to be reasonable and we could take a taxi. Sitting in our air conditioned vehicle we saw the hazy and impressive skyline of Bangkok already from kilometers of distance. The closer we got to the city the bigger the traffic jams became, it took 1 hour to get to the hostel and the driver charged us 20 EUR – resulting from the haggling and far too much as we know in the meantime. One could say, the Asia man totally fucked us with his pre-calculated offer. Never mind. We checked in at the hostel and went right out to see the city. Despite the time change and the 20 hour journey, of which we spent 6 hours next to some drunk French guys, we weren’t that tired. We went for lunch and then continued with letting Asia men fuck us. At a crossover an apparently nice guy said that this day would be a special Buddha holiday and recommended a sightseeing. The city wide sightseeing would be in a Tuk Tuk (a three-wheeled rickshaw vehicle without any safety belts which was made for driving without thinking) and would cost only 40 baht (1 EUR) because of the special holiday. This offer seemed to be exceptionally trustworthy, we were in. First we went to a temple from which roof you could see the city’s entire skyline. So it started pretty nice. After that the Tuk Tuk driver took us to another temple which was neither air conditioned nor cool inside due to any special construction. He told us to go right in, to sit down in front of a 10 meter big Buddha statue and to pray for at least 10 minutes in the burning midday heat. We were sweating like pigs and couldn’t stand even 1 minute in the temple. We said to the driver that we didn’t want to see Buddhas anymore. He got obviously pissed off and heartbreakingly informed us that he would get a valuable fuel voucher if he gets tourists to pray to 4 Buddhas for 10 minutes. Out of pity and as a courtesy we said that we would do him this favor. As we arrived at the next and last „temple“ we had to realize that a house of prayer might be near but we would be taken into a shop for suits by two Indians. „Welcome to our suit shop, what size do you have?“ The Tuk Tuk driver totally fucked us! We said to the guys in the shop that we are NOT going to buy a tailor-made suit for 80 EUR. They answered that this way the Tuk Tuk driver won’t get his voucher and as we went out of the store the driver was totally pissed off. The tour manager used his whole persuasion and convinced the driver to take us to the next Sky Train station for 5 EUR. A little bit dispirited we went back to the hostel. Being totally done by the heat we went to sleep for 3 hours.

Later that night everybody took a shower and we went out to see some of the near surroundings. Bangkok might be very noise and chaotic, it’s dirty and it stinks but it’s also full of live, especially in the night. While in Europe everything gets shut down for the night, in Bangkok the real live starts when the sun sets. The sidewalks are full of food stalls and booths where you can buy all sorts of things. After two hours, overwhelmed with loudness, nice and disgusting smells and sales policy of booth owners, we turned back and went to the hostel. We hit the beds at 0 am and slept straight until noon. Full of energy we went out into the turmoil – first of all we got something to eat in a shopping mall, then we rode the Sky Train to downtown, took a boat down the dirty river, had a look at the Royal Palace and then went back home. The first show of the tour should be on this evening and following the decision of the tour manager we went there by Sky Train, metro AND taxi. The „cheapest“ way, as he said to the unsuspecting rest of the band. As we arrived at the venue called „Immortal Bar“ (BANE played there only a couple days before) the charming owner Joy said to us that this day was shortly declared as a national holiday including the prohibition of loud concerts. Kinda strange news and a weird fact that Thailand can determine national holidays on such short notice. Never mind, the main thing is „fun, fun, fun“. We had a coke, ate a little bit and took a taxi directly to the hostel. By the way, the taxi was much faster and much cheaper than the transporting route that our tour manager Carsten picked on the way to the venue. And it’s really mind-blowing that every taxi and every Tuk Tuk driver knows where to drive and which streets to take without any GPS. Back in the hostel we put on the finest clothes and went to a sky bar around the corner to have a couple of nonalcoholic cocktails in the 20th floor, enjoyed the absence of our Russian guy, the live music from the bar below us and the incredible skyline of Bangkok. At 1 am we were back and and went to sleep.





Today is Thursday and the Asia-experts Carsten and Philipp continued where they stopped yesterday. Still refusing to understand that a taxi is fast, cheap and air conditioned, they forced us to take metro and then to walk endlessly along the overheated main roads and stinky khlongs – that’s how our Asia-experts call the ordinary canals. The Asia-experts always knew how to have fun moving through the city though they didn’t know how to successfully get a cab. After an eternal walk we reached Bangkok’s main river. We got on the boat, drove to the other side of the river and took a taxi for the remaining 1 kilometer. We arrived at a temple which was the first stop of our journey, shot some selfies and got into the next taxi. This one drove us to our second stop – the world famous Khaosan road, a short street full of shops, bars and much more. After we danced to some disco music at a booth with pirated CDs we asked the owner of another booth where we can find an illegal cockfight and a shrunken head. Disappointed by his negative answer we went back to the hostel. Right now we’re hanging around and chill, in 30 minutes a taxi should be here to take us to the „Immortal Bar“ once again. At least, that’s what they promised us yesterday.


Friday, March 6th – 07:25 am – Bangkok local time

The show yesterday was an organizational masterpiece. The day before they awaited us just to tell us that the show is rescheduled for the next day. So we already had a feeling that something fishy was going on there and the game of fails should continue. They promised that they would take care of a taxi which would pick us up from the hostel. It was not that big surprise that no taxi came because all the taxis were TOTALLY accidentally taken, due to the rush hour. No problem, shit happens, they could have ordered a taxi some time in advance but… never mind. So we took the Sky Train once again, walked past a war monument with a gigantic roundabout traffic and a huge crowd and arrived at  the venue. We left the baggage in the bar the day before, so the walk was not a big deal. As we got to the bar we set up everything on the stage, tested it and did a short rehearsal. Everything worked and there were – as it was promised – 3 amps and a drum set. The show would be with two other bands – one from Australia and one from Bangkok. The Australian band arrived a little bit later – COLOSSVS – pretty nice guys btw. We went out for some food because the bar didn’t provide us with food or drinks. After that we enjoyed some WiFi and noticed that the local band didn’t seem to hurry up to appear though it was already 8:30 pm. At 8:55 pm the sound guy surprisedly told us that we’re going to play first, starting in 5 minutes. In response to our question about the opening local band they briefly said to us that the band obviously won’t show up. Pretty strange that a band just doesn’t appear and nobody is giving a fuck. I had a general feeling that the sense of organization in this bar was a little bit unusual. I assumed, that this time our tour manager was NOT the only one to blame. At 9 pm there were about 30 people in the bar, some Thais as well as some tourists. As we played some people obviously had a quality time and appreciated our set with some funny moves. After the show some Thai guys came up and thanked us again and again for the show, bought our stuff and asked for autographs. Napalm Death had surely the same fun here as we did. After that we took a taxi to the hostel and went to sleep at 0 am. We stood up 3 hours later and took a taxi to the airport.The flight to Singapore started exactly at 7:00 am. Right now we’re in the AirAsia plane crossing fingers that this thing will land safe and sound.

Monday, March 9th – 8:50 pm – Manila local time

The last 4 days have been totally crazy. Starting in Singapore. During the landing we could see the shore line and the ocean. There were containerships everywhere you looked. The view was breathtaking. At the airport we met the promoter Shaiful and his friends. They took us to the airport’s lunchroom where we had the tastiest vegan shit ever. After that Shaiful paid two phat Chrysler taxis that took us directly to the hostel. We dropped our stuff and went out with for some sightseeing. After three days in Bangkok, Singapore offered an unusual sight. The city state did justice to it’s reputation as one of the richest countries in the world. Everything was clean, quiet, few exhausts and skyscrapers as far as an eye can see.


VENGEANCE TODAY in Singapore (1)

VENGEANCE TODAY in Singapore (2)

VENGEANCE TODAY in Singapore (3)

We walked for around 3 hours. After that we went back to the hostel and prepared for the show. While the opening bands played many people remained outside, until we started sound-checking. As we started, the room was packed with about 70 people who killed it while we played. Especially at the fast parts the asians shown what they got. After the show they wanted to make photos with us and asked us for autographs again. Here we realized that this guys put more heart in the whole thing, they made us feel comfortable, almost everybody said goodbye. We had the impression that the kids tried to get closer to us and they don’t take it for granted that a band travels hundreds of kilometers to play in front of them. After the show we took a shower at the hostel and hooked up with the promoter and some of his friends for some food. and hangouts in the city. The later it got the smaller our group became. But the bright skyline was worth every second spent waking. I was in my bed at 6 am, at 9 am we had to stand up and to catch our bus to Malacca. The night before we met Farid, a guy from Kuala Lumpur who joined us for the next days. He led us to the bus station and was the coolest dude besides me. Against our expectations that the bus would be a vehicle with no doors and no roof, it turned out to be a modern coach with massage seats. Due to my short night I slept the whole way to Malacca. As we passed the border control I was again the only one who had to submit fingerprints. Obviously they don’t like arab looking people in Malaysia as well.

As we arrived in Malacca the nerve-wracking chaos started. The both promoter guys picked us up with two cars from the bus station. Very kind guys but probably pretty young and kinda dazed. They drove through the city during the rush hour and looked for an accommodation for us. The search turned out to be complicated because all the hotels were too expensive for them. So we waited for a long time and it took more than two hours in the damn heat to find an appropriate hostel. It’s not entirely clear why they couldn’t take care and reserve a room one day before or something. After they found a hostel they went with us through the city to exchange the money, so that WE can pay the hostel (fortunately, the show on that day is going to be pretty well attended, so that we got the money back that we paid for the bus and for the hostel). After we checked in in our narrow room with no windows but with two double beds, mosquitos and an air conditioner that either produced an arctic climate or let you suffocate we went to eat to an Indian place nearby. There was no air conditioner which sorta fucked us up, so after the meal we just wanted to rest in our room. At 6:30 pm one of the promoters started to hurry and we drove to the venue. The venue was a youth club which was placed in the 8th floor of a building, we arrived there at 7 pm. Unfortunately, the promoter didn’t have the key for the venue so we had to wait for about one hour until someone opened it. After that we spent one more hour waiting for the opening band to appear. Actually the show supposed to start at 7 pm. Finally, the opening band showed up and startet the soundcheck which took them an eternity. Their set took them a second eternity. I don’t want to give my opinion about their musical quality at this point. Anyway, they finished their set at 10:30 pm – according to the original plan we supposed play at that time. However, there were 4 more bands to play before we should start. Some of these band were really good and the kids went crazy. At 0:15 am it was finally our turn. There have been around 60 people but some of them already left again. Though, the room was pretty full. Just as the crowd started moving I destroyed the both combo amps at once. This occurrence killed the serenity of the guy who was kinda an overseer in the club. He said that the show is now over and refused to give us another amplifier because he was afraid I would break the one too. Carsten talked to him for around 10 minutes and indeed convinced him to give us the amp so the show could go on. The most of people remained sitting on the floor in the concert room and as we continued playing they mashed hard. After the show the waiting begun once again. We waited for the promoter, then for the club owner, then for I don’t know what. The guy who organized the show made some real efforts and tried to suit everybody. But he seemed to be pretty aimless and this day and this night became an endurance test for our nerves. At 4 am we arrived back in out luxury hostel room.Acting according to the words „sleep is for the weak“ we had to get up at 10 am to catch the bus to Kuala Lumpur. The promoter put our baggage in his car and headed to the bus station. He called a taxi for us which arrived 20 minutes after he left. As the taxi dropped us at the bus station there were no sign of this guy for at least 30 minutes so that we almost missed our bus. Until today it remains a mystery what he did and where he have been in this time. At this point I have to say one more time: he was a kind, friendly person, he seemed to try hard making everything right, the show was good and well visited but he should work on his organization skills. Anyway, the bus had a 15 minutes delay so we could catch it in the last moment.

The promoter from Kuala Lumpur was a guy who barely wrote back as we prepared the tour and was a complicated communication partner. But as he picked us up at the bus station, he seemed to be on top. He apologized for his bad communication, paid the taxi and took us to his screen printing shop where we would reside. We enjoyed some aircon-ed WiFi and then went out to see the city. Kuala Lumpur seemed to be pretty wealthy, similar to Singapore. We headed to the city’s TV tower which is the 7th largest in the world. A view on the whole city from the height of 300 m, including the thunderstorm and tropical rain. Afterwards we walked to the Petronas Twin Towers. Epic!


At 10 pm we reached the venue, 3 bands have already played, there was one more to play, then us. The whole thing took place in an elegant recording studio. There were around 25-30 people which cranked it up once again. After the show we went straight back to the printing workshop, chilled, took a shower (which was a funny jet of water coming out of a hole in a wall), ate what the guys cooked for us and went to bed at 2 am. The promoter told us, we have to be ready at 7 am because a taxi would pick us up at this time. So we got up at 6:30 am. At 7 am nothing happened, so we waited a little bit more then looked into the room where promoter was sleeping. We woke him up around 7:20 am, he told us that he called a taxi with his mobile app and said to us that it would take one hour until the taxi arrives. Amazing! At least he took us to a place where we had a breakfast and paid for it as well as he paid for the taxi. At the airport we said „goodbye“ to our friend Farid who was the coolest companion and got on the plane to Manila. Due to the fact that the last nights have been pretty short, I slept the whole flight through.

As we arrived in Manila the promoter Egg and his friend RJ picked us up with a taxi van. The van was air conditioned and the guys were very nice. Though, the traffic chaos was not very nice. It took the taxi about 2 hours for 20 km to arrive at the hotel. Manila is loud, everybody honks, it stinks, it’s dirty and there are tons of exhausts. You see settlements of shanties between the skyscrapers. Children living on the streets and begging. Rather a bleak view compared to the other cities. The both guys took us to a nice vegan restaurant, than back to the hotel and paid for everything until then. In hotel we relaxed. Philipp successfully managed to block the toilet and instead of trying to properly flush he immediately went down to the reception and reported it to the ladies there. They sent a bellboy to our room who took over the flushing for Philipp. In the meantime Johann took a photo of the shit swimming in the toilet and showed it to Carsten. Carsten laughed so hard that he fell off his chair and spilled his coke on the whole floor. In the meantime there are the best cockfights of the day running on TV. Fun for the whole family! Soon we will go to sleep.

Wednesday, March 11th – 2:25 am – Manila local time

Right now we are in the bus to Pagbilao. The drive is going to take around 6 hours that’s why after the show we went directly to the bus station and took the bus.

After the last nights have been pretty short we slept yesterday until 11:00 am, got ourselves ready and at 1:00 pm Egg and RJ picked us up from the hotel. These two fellows were ones of the best guys we ever met. The organization was thoroughly planned, we didn’t have to wait for them and everything just worked. Also, they paid for EVERYTHING – taxis, hotel, food… As we asked them why they pay for absolutely everything, they said they are happy when the band enjoys the time in Manila as much as possible even when the band won’t get paid for the show. Amazing guys who are totally into it. Anyway, they picked us up at 1:00 am and we went to get some food and then to have a look at the city and to buy some souvenirs. Unforntunately, the city hadn’t very much to offer besides the traffic chaos.  And additionally, homeless children provided an impression that we didn’t get elsewhere. At 5 pm we got back to the hotel, checked out and headed to the venue. The venue was a pretty big bar named „Biz Zahr“. It was surely big enough to fit 500 people. Originally 8 bands should play, 2 of them just haven’t shown up so it were 6 in the end. Because of the chaotic traffic many of people and also bands arrived extremely late. The first band started to play at 10 pm, we played as the headliner and were done at 0:30 am. Including bands there were around 60 people in front of the stage which partly cranked it up. After the show some guys played „Capture The Flag“ with our set list and the people bought merchandise for around 250 EUR. Kick-ass! Almost everybody wanted autographs and thanked us endlessly. Very nice mentality was shown once again.


VENGEANCE TODAY tour diary - Manila (1)

VENGEANCE TODAY tour diary - Manila (2)

Now we’re in the bus and it’s time to catch some sleep. I guess there are some exhausting days ahead.

Friday, March 13th – 1:14 pm – Kuala Lumpur local time

Against our expectations the bus drive from Manila to Pagbilao took only 3 instead of 6 hours. As we arrived in Lucena one of the promoters named Neil picked us up from the bus station. He drove us straight to a hostel which they called „lodge“ where we slept until noon. In the meantime Neil brought us some food and tried to wake us up with quiet knocks on the door. Later we asked him how long he was standing there knocking and he said it was not long at all, only „something around 20 minutes“. After we woke up, everybody took a well deserved „shower“. Due to absence of the shower head it took a certain time for the 4 gentlemen of ours and at 3 pm we were ready to go.


Neil drove us to get some food, then to a cyber café where we enjoyed some WiFi and then off to the venue. They told us us the should should start either at 4 or at 6 pm. Indeed, until 6 pm nothing happened besides us sitting in the venue and listening to the techno music which the sound guys provided on the PA full volume. So we were sitting around and waiting for the 18 bands that should play on that evening. Until today no one of us knows why the shows there start so much later than scheduled and why some bands just don’t appear. On this Wednesday only 8 of 18 planned bands shown up and the show started at 8 pm. Though, everything happened pretty fast after the start, the bands played and changed pretty fast one after the other and we started playing at 0 am. The atmosphere has been very sincere. Many people said „hi“ to us and told us it’s an honor for them to have us there. In the meantime Egg, who came with us from Manila, brought us some tasty vegan food. We were announced with “Yo, everybody, now it’s the turn of the guys we’re all waiting for. From Germany. Vengeance Today. Let us show them some love.“ and then shit got serious. There were around 120-130 people in the room and they totally killed it – jumped around, dived from the balcony, moshed and just had fun. After the show we had to pose for the photos almost with everyone. Some girls asked me if they can have my shirt. It was just crazy. They treated us like we were Metallica. You don’t experience such a kindness and such a heartiness very often.

VENGEANCE TODAY Pagbilao after the WAS-fest

As we packed up our gear there was still a pretty big crowd outside, they talked to us, shoot photos with us and just let us have a pleasant time. The whole night was just amazing. Besides Singapore the best of the tour so far. After that we went to a 24 hours cafe to get some food. Even there they wanted to make pictures with us. While we ate I started feeling sick to my stomach – I still don’t know why – so we hurried up to get back to the lodge. Neil wanted to pick us up at 5 am so that we can go to a beach and see the sunrise from there. The plan didn’t work. As we arrived at the beach it was already around 8 am, though we did stand up at 5 am. A wonky fishing boat took us to an island around 60 mintues away. It was pretty creepy to see how the river was full of garbage, dirty and stinky all the way through Pagbialo. The more we got to the see the less littered the river became. We boated through the sea, past by a power plant and saw through the rock spurs the white beach with deep blue water. It was like in a move. The whole thing was pretty isolated and Neil told us us that tourists would never come to this place because it’s only known by locals. After a closer look we saw some straying dogs running around as well as some cocks for illegal Philippine backyard cockfights. Unfortunaltely, 50 meters behind the picture-perfect shoreline piles of garbage were rising, but you better concentrate on the beach and the water instead of what’s between the palms behind the beach. So a beautiful morning with almost no other people around us past by and we boated back to the city.

VENGEANCE TODAY tour diary - Pagbilao (4)

VENGEANCE TODAY tour diary - Pagbilao (3)

VENGEANCE TODAY tour diary - beach near Pagbilao

Back in Pagbilao we went to get some food, enjoyed WiFi at the cyber café and then went back to the hostel. Our plane to Surabaya, Indonesia, was going to be on the next morning at 07:35 am and we would need around 4 hours to the airport. That’s why we decided to go to bed in the afternoon. Neil’s father picked us up at midnight and drove us to the airport in Manila. We reached the airport at 3 am, said goodbye to our awesome hosts and had to wait a short time for the check-in. Now we are already at the stopover airport in Kuala Lumpur waiting for the connecting flight to Surabaya.

VENGEANCE TODAY tour diary - Pagbilao (1)

VENGEANCE TODAY tour diary - Pagbilao (2)

VENGEANCE TODAY tour diary - Pagbilao (5)

Tuesday, March 17th – 11:09 am – Jakarta local time

 „Led Zeppelin IV“ is the name of the soundtrack to which I am writing the last chapter of this diary.

We heard a lot about Indonesia before the tour. There would be 500 people coming to every show, the kids would totally crank it up and destroy the place, it’s unbearable hot and super dirty.

After our plane (which was packed with old coughing people and their 5000 shopping bags) landed in Surabaya we neither saw dirt nor we noticed the extraordinary unbearable heat. As well as we didn’t notice the promoter of that and following nights’ shows. Not because he was absent, but because he obviously made nothing of communication and organization. As we arrived at the airport this young gentleman, who hasn’t smelled very good, already waited for us. While we said a friendly „hello“ and „nice to meet you“ he stood there straight faced and looked at us like „would you please go straight to hell right now?“ Until we arrived at the venue he would only say two sentences to us. The first one was his question: „How do you want to get to the location, with a taxi or with a car?“ We answered that we didn’t have any idea and would prefer the cheapest option. He started to type something into his iPhone, then he went away for 15-20 minutes. After he returned, he pointed his arm at a car and we realized that this vehicle would drive us to the venue. We informed him that we couldn’t get Indonesian money in the last 30 minutes. Hereupon we would hear the second and the last sentence from him until we’d arrive at the venue – „I have no money either“. Totally pissed off by his communication and organization ability, we went to exchange the money at the airport (by the way, totally reliable  – an one-eye sea dog looking guy gave us an extraordinary good rate) so that we could pay for the drive to the venue. In hindsight, we NEVER had to pay for the transportation from the airport to the venue. The promoter also arranged a good deal for the car – 300.000 Indonesian money – it’s around 25€. Later we would know that one third of this price is normal. Only the driver’s 90’s techno mixtape broke the silence during the drive and after half an hour we arrived at the venue. There were already some kids in front of it – maybe around 50. They filled the room in the sound studio pretty well. They were kind, some said „hello“. As the opening 3 bands played the crowd got pretty wild. Though, as we played they mostly just stood around. We had the impression that the promoter didn’t really promoted the show and this kids didn’t have the chance to check us or our music before. Maybe he just told them one or two days before that there would be a show and they should come around. We also had an impression that they are kinda oversaturated when it’s about touring bands from other countries. After the show was over and we could rate it with an „okay“, the organizational genius continued his master plan. He was supposed to organize the show in Malang on the next day as well. He informed us that this show is not sure because the cops shut down the venue due to a fight that took place there 2 weeks ago. He also said that he is trying to find an alternative venue and we should wait for one hour. Around 50 minutes later I went downstairs to ask him how the things age going. He answered that the hour is still not over and I should come back in 10 minutes. Instead of taking care of us or at least talking with us, he was sitting downstairs in front of the building and talking with his friends. He seemed neither concerned nor sorry for keeping us waiting and not knowing what’s going on. At least this cheapskate brought us some fried rice. After exactly one hour was over, Philipp went down to talk to him and came back with the information: „The alternative venue seems to be safe, but the rent for it was not sorted out yet“. Down-spirited, we looked at each other and asked ourselves if in the end we would have to pay the rent for the venue. We had a general feeling that this guy was just looking for an excuse and there has never been an organized show in Malang. We couldn’t find absolutely no promotion nor information about this show on the internet and there has never been any straight answer except „it’s confirmed“. The financial and organizational risk to take a 3 hours drive to Malang, to pay for this bus,  to find no or a only a shitty show maybe in a venue we also would have to pay for and then to drive 3 hours back in the night straight to the airport was just too high. Also, we were just done after being awake since over 24 hours. So we booked a room for one night in a 4 star hotel from our own money and told to the promoter that he can find or contact us there when he got things straight. On the next day we got neither an information about anything nor an apology from him. So we decided to extend our stay in the hotel for one more night. This spontaneous day-off obviously seemed to be the right decision. We just bummed around the whole day, went to a mall, had a great session at the swimming pool and an awesome dinner at a a vegan chinese restaurant. Later, Carsten and me went to the mall again and found Asia’s number one amusement arcade where we nerded around until they kicked us out because the mall closed. So despite the cancelled show it was a recreative and just a nice day. Until then we could see nothing of dirt and feel nothing of the extraordinary heat in Indonesia. It was a little bit similar to Malasya. After our day-off we had to stand up early, the flight to Jakarta would be at 8:00 am. As we arrived at the airport we had to discover that the flight time was changed and the departure will be 90 minutes later. So we „enjoyed“ the additional 90 minutes at the airport. At least there was WiFi.

As we landed in Jakarta, the sweet life begun once again. Finally, some kind, friendly and talkative guys picked us up with two big cars. We headed to Andri’s place where we would spend the both next days. As we arrived the guys gave us some food and we could sleep some time before we headed to the venue. At the venue everybody welcomed us, they hugged us and were very friendly. Unfortunately, I don’t know how many bands were supposed to play on that evening and how many actually played. Anyway, we played as fourth to the last. While we played, the room which could fit easily 300 people was pretty well filled. Around 100 kids were there, I think. They killed it pretty much once again. Especially as we played the „Straight Edge revenge“ cover all hell broke loose.


VENGEANCE TODAY live in Jakarta (1)

VENGEANCE TODAY live in Jakarta (2)

VENGEANCE TODAY live in Jakarta (3)

After the show the guys got some food for us and paid for everything again. They drove us around with their cars, paid for everything… (I think, we should invent a no-go-list for the hardcore scene and put the promoter from Surabaya on it, along with some other people which I won’t mention right now.) After the show we headed to Andri’s place and went to bed. On the next day we woke up at 11 am, got ourselves done and started doing the typical tourist stuff. Seeing some things, buying souvenirs and of course the best thing you can do in Jakarta: being caught up in a traffic jam. I guess, of the 8 hours we were on the way, we stucked 3 hours in a traffic jam. Back at Andri’s place at 8 pm we relaxed and tried to eat durian – the fruit that smells like shit. The guys said they like this fruit so we tried it too. It looked like an oversized lichee, the consistency was that of an avocado and after we peeled off the shell, the fruit indeed smelled like shit/puke and unfortunately tasted a little bit like it. After the first bite I had to put this thing away. Later we went to sleep. 5 am next morning the guys brought us to the airport und said goodbye. At 8 pm – after the 18 hours trip – we will arrive in Munich. Our friends Danny and Christoph of Contrasts will pick us up from the airport and we will  stay at Chris’ place for the night. Tomorrow in the morning we will take the train home.

In the hindsight I can say that a tour of that kind is really the next level shit. Due to the baggage limitations we had to consider so much before the tour even started. So much, that the packing already spoiled the mood. Normally, I am used to put my whole shit in a bag, my sleeping bag on the top, then into the van, done. Unfortunately, this time it wasn’t that easy. Though – almost everywhere the promoters were amazing. The asian mentality might be a little bit slow and relaxed but on the other side nobody is pissed off if something goes wrong. Of course, we knew from the beginning that we’ll have to pay for all the flights, which was around 1.000 EUR per person. But then – there was almost no show where we had to pay for anything – our earnings from sold merchandise and the fact that nearly each promoter paid for our food, accommodation and transportations allowed us to get through with almost no private expenses. The people are incredibly thankful that a band from far away comes to their place, a total contrary to Germany/Europe. The kids are just hot for the show and welcome you. The shows in Singapore, Manila, Pagbilao and Jakarta were just really good. The best attended one was in Pagbilao with around 130 kids shown up and that’s during the week. We also get used to the continuous 35 °C after 2 weeks. So, Asia – one more time would be a pleasure! Oh, and well – the cliché that they are eating NOTHING BUT rice… is true.

xVTX 2k15



[Best_Wordpress_Gallery id=”2″ gal_title=”VENGEANCE TODAY South East Asia tour diary”]


Montag, 2. März – 23:19 – Ortszeit Dubai

Ein großer Teil unserer Anfangsreise ist schon vorbei. Während wir eben im brandneuen A380 von Emirates mit WLAN, Handyladestation und eigener Glotze sitzen, versuche ich den Leser auf die Geschichten der folgenden Tage vorzubereiten. Derjenige, der diese Zeilen aufmerksam lesen möchte, sollte sich auf knallharte und neutrale journalistische Berichterstattung einstellen, bei der zu 100% auf Sarkasmus, Zynismus und jeglichen Spaß verzichtet wird. Das Tourtagebuch zur Vengeance Today South East Asia Tour 2015 startet also hiermit.


Los geht es mit den Geschehnissen der letzten 36 Stunden. Wir trafen uns am Sonntag, 01. März 2015, 16:00 (nach normaler Zeitrechnung) und 16:30 (nach der Zeitrechnung unseres russischen Sängers) in der Wohnung des Tourmanagers Carsten, dessen Organisation schon zu Beginn einige erbärmliche Schwachstellen aufwies, die in den folgenden Zeilen angehaucht werden. Los ging es damit in seiner Wohnung 100 Shirts in das Gepäck unserer Leute aufzuteilen. Ein schwieriges Unterfangen, wie sich herausstelle, aber der Tourmanager bewältigte diese Aufgabe in etwa so gut, wie er bewerkstelligte die umständlichste Zugverbindung nach Frankfurt am Main zu buchen. Offenbar ließ er die möglichen Zugbverbindungen nach der Anzahl der Umsteigemöglichkeiten ordnen und wählte die Verbindung mit den meisten Umstiegen. Ein guter organisatorischer Schachzug. Jedenfalls fuhr dann 17:30 der Zug nach Leipzig, dann nach Halle, dann nach Frankfurt HBF und DANN zum Flughafen, wo wir 23:12 ankamen und das Handynavi einen Fußweg zum Hostel von 25 Minuten prophezeite. Clever eingefädelt vom Tourmanager, so mit 30 kg Gepäck pro Person. Aber unser Tourmanager ist ein Mann der Lösungen, nicht der Probleme. So kam ihm nach gefühlten 3 km Fußweg die völlig absurde Idee ein Taxi für den kurzen Weg zu nehmen. Erneut bestätigte dies seine geschärften Sinne. Gegen 23:45 kamen wir im Hostel an. Am nächsten Morgen standen wir gegen 6:30 auf und wackelten zum Flughafen. Zu Fuß natürlich. Mit 30 kg Gepäck. Warum? Weil der Rezeptionist des Hostels empfohlen hat zu Fuß zu gehen. Natürlich ist unser Tourmanager ein Mann, der lieber auf Empfehlungen von schadenfrohen Hotelfachangestellten statt auf gesunden Menschenverstand hört. Nichts desto trotz kamen wir brachialst durchgeschwitzt am Terminal an und der rassistische Mob wartete auch in Westdeutschland auf arabische Opfer. Ich bestand die Sicherheitskontrolle nach Leibesphysitation und Extrauntersuchung wegen des Verdachts auf Sprengstoffschmuggels innerhalb meiner Spiegelreflexkamera erfolgreich. Die Schadenfreude meiner Bandmitglieder muss ich dabei wohl kaum ewähnen. ‘Hauptsache Spaß’ lautet unsere Divise. Das größte Abenteuer dieser Band ging dann los als wir endlich in den Flieger nach Dubai stiegen. 5 Stunden Flugzeit, danach 4 Stunden Aufenthalt in Dubai und erneute 5 Stunden Flugzeit bis nach Bangkok.

Donnerstag, 05. März – 15:58 – Ortszeit Bangkok

Die letzten beiden Tage waren sowohl wunderschön, als auch anstrengend. Dienstag Morgen 07:00 kamen wir in Bangkok am Flughafen an. Raus aus dem Flieger, rein ins Getümmel. Sicherheitscheck, Visum geholt, Gepäck eingesackt und raus in die völlig erdrückende, schwüle Hitze. Schon morgens 08:00 Temperaturen von 25 °C und 80 % Luftfeuchte. Man dachte, es geht zuende mit uns. Noch nicht genug beeindruckt von der Hitze kam unserem Tourmanager die Idee mit dem Skytrain zum Hostel zu fahren und dabei die Fußwege von den Haltestellen in Kauf zu nehmen. Gott sei Dank ließ der Tour- Damager mit sich reden und es konnte ein Taxi genommen werden. Schon von Weitem sah man im klimatisierten Gefährt die dunstige und beeindruckende Skyline Bangkoks. Je näher man der Stadt kam, umso mehr Stau gab es, das Taxi brauchte eine gute Stunde bis zum Hostel und der Fahrer verlangte uns 600 Baht – umgerechnet rund 20 € und mittlerweile viel zu viel im Vergleich zu anderen Taxifahrern. Man könnte sagen der Asia-Mann hat uns mit seinem vorkalkulierten Angebot komplett beschissen. Sei es, wie es sei. Am Hostel angekommen, checkten wir ein und gingen raus um was von der Stadt zu sehen. Wirklich müde waren wir trotz nächtlicher Reise mit besoffenen Franzosen und Zeitumstellung nicht. Zuerst wurde etwas gegessen und weiter ging es mit den Asia-Männern, die uns bescheißen. An einer Kreuzung bot uns ein Mann eine Sightseeing Tour im Tuk Tuk (dreirädriges Gefährt ohne Anschnallmöglichkeit mit der die Leute rumheizten ohne nachzudenken) zu 4 Tempeln an, die nur 40 Bath (1 €) kosten sollte. Das Angebot klang für uns besonders überzeugend vertrauensvoll, los ging’s. Zuerst gab es einen Tempel auf dessen Dach man die gesamte Skyline sehen konnte. Es ging also gut los. In der brennenden Mittagshitze führte uns der Fahrer zu weiteren Tempeln, die weder klimatisiert noch in irgendeiner Weise durch ihre Bauweise kühl im Inneren waren. Man solle sich 10 Minuten vor den 10 m großen goldenen Buddha setzen und beten. Natürlich schwitzten wir wie die Schweine und hielten es nicht mal eine Minute in dem Tempel aus. Als der Herr uns zu weiteren Tempeln führte und wir ihm sagten, dass wir keine Buddhas mehr sehen möchten, war er sichtlich angefressen und teilte uns voller Mitleid mit, dass er einen wertvollen Tank-Coupon bekommt, wenn er Touristen dazu bringt 10 Minuten vor Buddha zu sitzen. Aus Mitleid und Wohlwollen lenkten wir ein und sagten ihm, dass wir ihm den Gefallen taten. Am nächsten und letzten “Tempel” angekommen, stellten wir erschrocken fest, dass wir zwar in der Nähe eines Gebetshauses waren, jedoch von 2 Indern in einen klimatisierten Shop für Anzüge geführt wurden.


Der Fahrer hatte uns eiskalt verarscht, wir sagten den Inhabern des Shops, dass wir keinen maßgeschneiderten Anzug für 100 $ brauchen und der Tuk Tuk Fahrer bekam somit auch keinen Coupon und war pissig. Mit der Überredungskunst des Tourmanagers konnten wir ihn für 200 Bath überreden uns zur nächsten Skytrain Haltestelle zu fahren. Ab gings leicht niedergechlagen ins Hostel. Wir waren völlig fertig von der Hitze und schliefen erstmal 3 Stunden. Abends duschten wir und machten Mittwoch, 04. März 2015, Skybar Bangkok uns nochmal auf die Socken und liefen ein wenig durch die Nachbarschaft. Auch wenn Bangkok sehr laut und chaotisch ist, dreckig und stinkt, ist es sehr belebt, besonders abends. Während in Europa die Bortsteine hochgeklappt werden, geht hier mit untergehender Sonne das Leben erst los. Die kompletten Gehwege sind voll mit Essens-und Verkaufsständen auf denen man alles mögliche käuflich erwerben kann. Überwältigt von Lautstärke, schönen und ekligen Gerüchen, Verkaufsstrategien der Standbetreiber gingen wir nach 2h Spaziergang wieder nach Hause, waren gegen 00:00 im Bett und schliefen volle Bude durch bis 12:00 am Mittwoch. Voller Lebenskraft gings wieder in Getümmel: erst in die Mall was essen, weiter mit dem Skytrain in die Innenstadt zum Fluss, mit dem Boot ‘ne Runde über den dreckigen Fluss schippern, am Königspalast vorbei und wieder nach Hause. Abends sollte die erste Show sein und wir fuhren dank des Tourmanagers mit Skytrain, Metro UND Taxi zur Location. Die “billigste” Variante wurde den nichtsahnenden Bandmitgliedern gesagt. An der Location namens Immortal Bar angekommen (Bane spielte hier paar Tage vorher) sagte uns die entzückende Betreiberin Joy, dass heute leider kurzfristig Nationalfeiertag ist und die Show auf morgen – wie ursprünglich geplant – verschoben wird. Ein wenig komische Meldung in Anbetracht der Tatsache, dass hier Nationalfeiertage so kurz verschoben werden können. Auch egal, Hauptsache Spaß Spaß Spaß. Cola getrunken, was gegessen und mit der aufwandsentschädigenden Kohle vom Club mit dem Taxi nach direkt ins Hostel. Das Taxi war letztenendes übrigens wesentlich schneller und wesentlich günstiger als die auf dem Hinweg gewählte Transportroute unseres Managers Carsten. Der Asia-Experte weiß, wie man sich in Millionenmetropolen fortbewegt. Im Hostel angekommen schlüpften wir in den besten Zwirn und gingen in eine Skybar um die Ecke ein paar alkoholfreie Cocktails im 20. Stock schlürfen, genießten dabei die Ruhe vor unserem Russen, die Livemusik in der Bar unter uns und die ungaubliche Skyline Bangkoks. Gegen 1:00 waren wir wieder zuhause und schliefen.


Am heutigen Donnerstag ging es weiter mit den Asia-Experten Carsten und Drummer-Philipp. Immer noch nicht realisiert, dass Taxi schnell, günstig und klimatisiert ist, musste sich wieder in die Metro gesetzt werden nachdem man Kaffee in der Mall trank und dann Ewigkeiten entlang von komplett überhitzten Hauptverkehrswegen und stinkenden Klongs – wie die Asia-Experten stinknormale Kanäle nennen – gelatscht werden. Die Asia-Experten wussten stets, wie man spaßig durch die Stadt kommt und weniger, wie man erfolgreich ein Taxi rief. An Bangkoks Hauptwasserader nach ewigem Gelatsche angekommen, stieg man ins Boot, fuhr auf die andere Flussseite und nahm sich ein Taxi für den letzten Kilometer zum Tempel, den man sich angucken wollte. Kurz Selfies gemacht, ab ins nächste Taxi und ab zur Hauptverkaufsstraße der Stadt. Die Diskomucke der Stände gefeiert, die Budenbetreiber nach illegalen Hinterhofhahnenkämpfen und Schrumpfköpfen gefragt und enttäuscht, weil unsere Nachfrage nicht erfüllt wurde ins Hostel zurück. Eben wird gechillt, in 30 Minuten holt uns das Taxi ab und fährt uns erneut zur Location.

Freitag, 06. März – 07:25 – Ortszeit Bangkok

Die Show gestern war ein Fest organisatorischer Meisterleistung. Nachdem uns schon am Vortag spanisch vorkam, dass uns erst direkt vor Ort nach Anreise erzählt wurde, dass das Konzert um einen Tag verlegt wird, geht das Fail-Game weiter. Es wurde uns versprochen ein Taxi zu rufen, was uns vom Hostel abholt. Wenig verwunderlich war es dann, dass kein Taxi kam, weil zuuufällig alle besetzt waren wegen der Rush-Hour. Kein Problem, kann ja passieren. Man hätte aber auch eher ein Taxi bestellen können. Also fuhren wir mit dem Sky-Train eine Runde und liefen dann von einem Monumental mit gigantischen Kreisverkehr und unsagbar großer Menschenmenge zur Location. Das Gepäck hatten wir am Vortag in der Bar gelassen, das ganze stellte also kein Problem dar. Als wir ankamen bauten wir fix auf, probierten ein bisschen rum ob alles läuft und probten kurz. Die australische Band kam später dazu – ziemlich nette Jungs, sei an dieser Stelle gesagt: Colossvs – Jedenfalls bauten wir nach dem rumprobieren wieder ab. Die Backline funktionierte problemlos und es standen wirklich – wie vereinbart – 3 Amps plus Schlagzeug Grundgerüst da. Wir gingen noch fix was futtern, denn das wurde von der Bar nicht bereitgestellt. Nachdem wir ein wenig Wifi genossen, wunderten wir uns 20:30, dass die thailändische Vorband noch nicht da ist. 20:55 kam plötzlich der Tonmann zu uns und sagte, dass es in 5 Minuten losgeht. Auf die Frage hin, warum die Vorband noch nicht aufgebaut hat, wurde uns entgegengebracht, dass diese nicht erschienen sei. Komisch, dass eine Band einfach mal nicht zur Show erscheint und sich darum 0 gekümmert wird. Allgemein schien mir die Organisation der Bar ein wenig holprig. Die alleinige Schuld lag dieses Mal vermutlich NICHT beim Tourmanager. Gegen 21:00 waren circa 30 Gäste in der Bar, darunter einige Thais, aber auch einige Touristen. Die Thais veranstalteten mit witzigen Moves amüsanten Abriss, bedankten sich 1000 Male bei uns wegen der guten Show, kauften unseren Rotz und wollten auch noch Autogramme. Napalm Death hatten sicher ähnlich viel Spaß hier. Nach der Show fuhren wir dann wieder mit dem Taxi ins Hostel und pennten gegen 00:00. Dabei ist es erstaunlich, wie wirklich jeder TukTuk – oder Taxifahrer ohne Navi genau wusste, wo er hinzufahren hat. Gegen 03:00 mussten wir wieder aufstehen und uns mit 2 Taxis auf den Weg zum Flughafen machen. Punkt 07:00 ging der Flug nach Singapur. Hier sitzen wir jetzt im Air Asia Flug und hoffen, dass das ganze Teil heil landet.

Montag, 09. März 2015 – 20:50 – Ortszeit Manila

Die letzten Tage waren absolut crazy. Angefangen in Singapur. Während des Sinkfluges sah man die Küste und das Meer. Dieses war bis zum Horizont voll mit Containerschiffen. Atemberaubend dieser Anblick. Nachdem wir am Flughafen angekommen sind, holten uns Shai und seine Kumpels ab. Wir gingen im Flughafen was essen, den leckerste veganen Scheiß ever. Danach spendierte uns Shai 2 fette Chrysler Taxis direkt zum Hostel. Anschließend gingen wir mit den Jungs die Stadt anschauen. Uns bot sich ein ungewohnter Anblick. Der Stadtstaat wurde ihrem Stellungsgrad als eines der reichsten Länder der Welt gerecht. Nirgendwo Dreck, ruhig, wenig Abgase, Wolkenkratzer so weit das Auge reichte. Für einen Europäer ungewohnt. Der Spaziergang dauerte gut 3 Stunden. Danach ging es erneut zum Hostel zurück und ab zur Show. Während den Vorbands fanden sich nicht so viele Leute ein, als wir allerdings checkten kam die Meute in den zweiten Stock des Gebäudes. Sicher waren bis zu 70 Leute da, die den Raum gut füllten und den hammerharten Abriss veranstalteten. Besonders bei schnellen Parts ließen die Asiaten gucken, wo der Punk abgeht. Nach der Show wurden wieder Fotos geschossen und Autogramme verlangt. Allgemein war wieder klar, dass die Asiaten wesentlich mehr Herzblut in die Sache steckten. Man fühlte sich wohl, geborgen, nahezu jeder sagte Tschüss. Man hatte den Eindruck die Leute suchten mehr Nähe zu den Bands und für sie war es nichts selbstverständliches, dass man sonst wie viele Kilometer fuhr um zu spielen. Jedenfalls ging es nach der Show wieder ins Hostel. Es wurde kurz geduscht um sich dann erneut mit den Veranstaltern und deren Freunden zum Essen zu treffen. Im Anschluss wurde wieder spaziert.


Die Gruppe wurde immer kleiner umso später es wurde. Trotzdem war die beleuchtete Skyline in der Innenstadt jeden Moment wert. Gegen 6 war ich dann im Bett und gegen 9 mussten wir wieder aufstehen um zum Bus zu kommen. Wir lernten am Vorabend Farid kennen – einen Dude aus Kuala Lumpur, der uns die nächsten Tage begleiten sollte. Er führte uns zum Bus und war neben mir einfach der coolste Typ. Entgegen unserer Annahmen, dass der Bus von Singapur nach Malacca ein Gefährt ohne Türen und Dach sei, stellte sich heraus, dass es ein westlicher Reisebus mit Massagesitzen war. Aufgrund der kurzen Nacht schlief ich die ganze Fahrt durch. Während des Einreiseprozederes war ich wieder mal der einzige, der Fingerabdrücke abgeben musste. Offenbar mag man in Malaysia auch keine Araber. In Malacca angekommen, ging dann das nervenzermürbende Chaos los. Am Busbahnhof angekommen, holten uns die beiden Veranstalter mit 2 Autos ab. Sehr nette Jungs, allerdings vermutlich ein bisschen jung und ein wenig verpeilt. Zunächst fuhr man in der Rushhour durch die halbe Stadt um nach einem Hotel zu suchen. Die Suche gestaltete sich schwierig, denn viele Hotels waren dem Promoter zu teuer. So wartete man ewig und brauchte sicher insgesamt 2 Stunden in der gottverdammten Hitze bis ein preiswertes Hostel gefunden wurde. Warum nicht schon im Vornherein ein Hostel gebucht wurde, war fraglich. Nachdem man das Hostel fand, wurde erneut ein Weg durch die halbe Stadt in Anspruch genommen um Geld zu tauschen um das Hostel bezahlen zu können. Sicher dauerte das wieder eine halbe Stunde. Zum Glück bekamen wir das Geld für Busfahrt und Hostelzimmer durch die gut besuchte Show am Abend zurück. Nachdem wir das verdammt enge Hostelzimmer mit 2 Ehebetten, dafür aber ohne Fenster und mit Mücken und Mörderklimaanlage, die entweder arktische Temperaturen verursachte oder einen komplett ersticken ließ, bezogen hatten, ging es zum Inder was essen. Ein Lokal ohne Klimaanlage fuckte uns wieder hart ab und wir mussten uns danach einfach nur noch ausruhen bevor wir zur Show gingen. Gegen halb 7 machte der Promoter Druck und wir fuhren zur Location. Es war ein Jugendclub im 8. Stock eines Gebäudes, dort kamen wir gegen 7 an. Blöderweise hatte der Veranstalter keinen Schlüssel und wir mussten wieder eine Stunde Freitag, 06. März 2015, Singapur warten bis der Typ mit dem Schlüssel aufkreuzte. Danach musste man erneut eine Stunde warten bis überhaupt mal die Band auftauchte, die als erstes spielte. Wohlbemerkt sollte die Show 19:00 starten. Als die erste Band dann endlich auftauchte, checkte sie Ewigkeiten und spielte dann auch noch Ewigkeiten. Über die Qualität möchte ich mich jetzt nicht äußern. Jedenfalls war die erste Band 22:30 fertig – zu der Zeit sollten wir schon planmäßig anfangen. Allerdings sollten noch 4 weitere Bands spielen bis wir dran waren. Teilweise waren die Bands richtig gut – es wurde hart ausgerastet. Gegen viertel 1 waren wir dann an der Reihe. Ein Teil der 60 Leute war schon weg, trotzdem war der Raum sehr gut gefüllt. Als die Leute gerade in Fahrt kamen, zerrammelte ich beide Combo-Amps nahezu gleichzeitig. Das ließ die Ruhe des Clubbesitzers zunehmend verschwinden. Er wollte erst keinen weiteren Amp rausrücken, weil er Angst hatte, ich würde ihn auch noch kaputt machen. Nach ein wenig Gerede gab er ihn uns aber doch und nach 20 Minuten Pause ging es doch entgegen unserer Annahmen weiter. Die meisten Leute blieben stur sitzen und feierten uns trotzdem noch gut ab. Nach der Show wurde wieder gewartet. Auf Veranstalter, auf Clubbesitzer etc. Der Veranstalter gab sich wirklich viel Mühe und versuchte uns alles recht zu machen. Leider war er zu planlos und der ganze Tag wurde zur nervlichen Belastungsprobe. Gegen 4 waren wir im luxoriösen Hotelzimmer angekommen und mussten schon gegen 10 wieder aufstehen um den Bus nach Kuala Lumpur zu nehmen. Der Promoter transportiere in seinem Auto unser Gepäck und fuhr los. Das Taxi, was das Hostel für uns bestellte, kam 20 Minuten nachdem der Veranstalter losgefahren ist. Als wir mit diesem Taxi am Bsbahnhof ankamen, war vom Veranstalter 30 Minuten lang nichts zu sehen, sodass wir fast unseren Bus verpassten. Was er in der Zeit gemacht hat, weiß leider keiner von uns. An dieser Stelle nochmal: Er hat sich wirklich Mühe gegeben, die Show war gut und gut besucht, aber seine Organisationsfähigkeiten sollte er noch ausbauen. Jedenfalls fuhr der Bus mit 15 Minuten Verspätung los und wir kriegten ihn gerade so. In Kuala Lumpur am Busbahnhof holte uns der Veranstalter ab, der sich im Vorfeld als sehr schwieriger Kommunikationspartner herausstellte. Dennoch schien er sehr abgeklärt zu sein, entschuldigte sich für die schwierige Kommunikation, bezahlte uns das Taxi und ließ uns in seiner Siebdruckwertstatt hausen.


Gesamtüberblick vom KL-TV-Tower, dann direkt vor den Patronas-Twin-Towers. Ganz großes Kino! Mit Gewitter aus 300 m Höhe und tropischem Regenschauer. Kuala Lumpur war ebenfalls eine Stadt von Wohlstand, ähnich wie Singapur. Gegen 22:00 waren wir dann an der Location, 3 Bands hatten schon gespielt, eine sollte noch, dann waren wir dran. Das ganze fand in einem noblen Tonstudio statt. Sonntag, 08. März 2015, KL-Fernsehturm Circa 30 -40 Leute waren am Start und legten wieder gut los. Danach ging es direkt zurück in die Wohnung, chillen, duschen, essen, pennen. Gegen 2 kamen wir zur Ruhe, gegen 6 mussten wir wieder aufstehen und uns zum Flughafen bewegen. Der Veranstalter sagte uns, dass wir gegen 7 fertig sein sollten – er stand hingegen erst halb 8 auf, rief uns dann erst ein Taxi und wunderte sich, dass das erst in einer Stunde da ist. Wenigstens ging er mit uns essen und bezahlte uns die Taxifahrten. Am Flughafen angekommen verabschiedeten wir uns von unserem Kumpel Farid, der sich als der coolste Begleiter herausstellte und wir stiegen ins Flugzeug. Aufgrund der kurzen Nächte schlief ich den ganzen Flug. Am Flughafen in Manila angekommen holten uns die beiden Veranstalter gleich mit einem Bus ab. Super angenehme Menschen, Klimaanlage im Taxi. Das Verkehrschaos war allerdings nicht so angenehm. Der Bus brauchte circa 2 Stunden bis zum Hotel. Manila war laut, es wurde gehupt, es stank, es war dreckig, Abgase ohne Ende. Siedlungen von Wellblechhütten zwischen Hochhäusern. Kinder leben auf der Straße und betteln. Ein eher tristes Bild im Gegensatz zu anderen Städten. Die beiden Veranstalter führten uns in ein veganes Restaurant und bezahlten uns bis dahin alles. Im Hotel wieder angekommen wurde gechillt. Philipp schaffte es das Klo zu verstopfen und anstatt mal ordentlich zu spülen, erzählte er es den Damen an der Rezeption und ließ den Hotelpagen kommen, der die Spülung für ihn übernahm. Johann machte ein Bild der schwimmenden Scheiße im Klo und zeigte es Carsten, daraufhin kippte er vor Lachen mit dem Hocker um und flog samt Cola auf die Schnauze. Ein Späßle für die ganze Familie. Nebenbei laufen die besten Hahnenkämpfe des Tages in der Glotze. Gleich gehen wir pennen.

Mittwoch, 10. März – 02:25 – Ortszeit Manila

Eben sitzen wir im Bus nach Pagbilao. Das ganze wird in etwa 6 h in Anspruch nehmen, weswegen wir direkt nach der Show zum Busbahnhof sind und den Bus genommen haben.


Nachdem die letzten Nächte eher kurz ausgefallen sind, schliefen wir am Vortag diesmal bis 11:00, machten uns dann fertig und gegen 1 holte uns Egg am Hotel in Manila ab. Dieser Kerl und sein Kumpel RG waren die besten Typen, die uns je begegnet sind. Sie bezahlten uns von den Taxifahrten bis zum Essen ALLES. Auch organisatorisch wirkten die Typen wirklich einfach durchgeplant. Man musste nicht warten und einfach alles haute hin. Auf die Frage, warum sie uns wirklich alles bezahlten sagten sie, dass sie froh sind, dass sie den Bands einen möglichst angenehmen Aufenthalt bieten können, wenn sie den Bands schon kein Geld geben können. Die besten Typen, die einfach voll dahinter stehen. Naja. Jedenfalls holten uns die beiden 13:00 ab, wir gingen was essen und dann ein wenig die Stadt angucken und Souvenirs kaufen. Leider hatte die Stadt bis auf das Verkehrschaos nicht allzuviel zu bieten. Weiterhin sorgten obdachlose Kinder für einen Eindruck, den wir vorher noch nie gewinnen konnten. Gegen 17:00 waren wir wieder im Hotel, checkten aus und fuhren zur Venue. Das ganze Ding war ganz schön groß. Sicher fanden dort 500 Leute Platz. Insgesamt 8 Bands sollten an dem Abend spielen, 2 kreuzten nicht auf und es blieb bei 6. Aufgrund des Verkehrschaos kamen viele Leute und auch Bands extremst spät. Gegen halb 10 fing die erste Band an, gegen 00:30 waren wir fertig mit spielen. Mit den Bandmitgliedern waren circa 60 Leute im Club anwesend, die teilweise gut Abriss veranstalteten. Wir verkauften an die wenigen Leute Merch im Wert von fast 250 €. Wahnsinn. Autogramme wollte fast jeder haben, es wurde Capture the Flag mit unserer Setlist gespielt und die Leute bedankten sich wie verrückt. Die Mentalität war wirklich sehr angenehm. Die anstrengendsten Tage stehen uns jedoch erst noch bevor. Zeit, ein wenig zu schlafen.

Freitag, 13. März – 13:14 – Ortszeit Kuala Lumpur

Nachdem die Busfahrt von Manila nach Pagbilao entgegen unserer Erwartungen nicht 6 Stunden, sondern nur 3 dauerte, holte uns einer der Veranstalter Neil um 5 Uhr morgens in Lucena ab. Er fuhr uns direkt in eine Lodge in der wir bis Mittag schliefen. Zwischenzeitlich brachte uns Neil was zu essen vorbei und verbrachte dabei 20 Minuten uns zu wecken. Er meinte, es hätte garnicht lange gedauert. Nachdem wir wach waren namen wir eine wohlverdiente Dusche im Bad ohne Duschkopf. Das dauerte für alle 4 Personen natürlich seine Zeit und wir kamen gegen 15:00 los. Fix was essen mit Neil, WiFi im Online Game Cafè enjoyen und ab zur Location. Uns wurde gesagt die Show solle entweder 16:00 oder 18:00 starten. Zwischen 4 und 6 tat sich allerdings nahezu garnichts außer ultralaut das Technozeugs der Tonmänner hören zu müssen. So saßen wir rum und warteten auf die 18 Bands, die spielen sollten. Komischerweise rafft keiner von uns, warum die Shows hier so viel später losgehen als angesetzt und warum am Ende nie alle Bands aufkreuzen. An diesem Mittwoch waren letztlich nur 8 von 18 Bands am Start und die Show startete um 8. Dennoch ging alles ruckzuck, die Bands spielten schnell hintereinander weg und wir waren gegen 00:00 dran. Allgemein war die Stimmung sehr herzlich. Alle begrüßten uns, sagten, dass es eine Ehre sei uns bei ihnen zu haben. Zwischendurch kam Egg und brachte uns was zu futtern. Mit “Yo everybody, now it’s the turn of the guys we’re all waiting for. From Germany. Vengeance Today. Let us show them some love.” wurden wir angekündigt, dann gings los. Etwa 120 – 130 Leute waren im Raum und die veranstalteten megamäßigen Abriss. Jumpten von der Empore, droschen sich wie die Sau und hatten einfach Spaß.

VENGEANCE TODAY Pagbilao after the WAS-fest

Nach der Show mussten wir 30 Minuten lang mit nahezu jedem Gast Bilder schießen. Einige Girls fragten, ob sie mein Shirt haben können. Es war einfach crazy. Sie behandelten uns wie Metallica. So eine Freundlichkeit und Herzlichkeit erlebt man selten. Als wir zusammen-gepackt haben, stand ein großer Trupp immernoch am Eingang der Location, quatschte mit uns, machte Bilder mit uns und machte uns den Aufenthalt einfach super angenehm. Neil machte für den Anlass der zweiten Ausgabe des WAS-Fests sogar extra Shirts für uns. Der ganze Abend war einfach geil. Neben Singapur definitiv der beste der Tour bisher. Danach gingen wir noch nebenan was essen. Selbst dort sollten noch Bilder gemacht werden. Mir wurde dann ein wenig schlecht – aus welchem Grund auch immer – und wir machten Eier in die Lodge zu kommen. Neil wollte uns früh um 5 abholen, damit wir zeitig zum Sonnenaufgang am Strand sind. Der Plan ging nicht ganz auf. Gegen 8:00 waren wir erst am Strand. Wir fuhren in etwa 60 Minuten mit einem Fischerboot dorthin. Ziemlich abgeschieden das ganze. Es war creepy zu sehen, wie der Flussauslauf der Stadt Pagbilao richtig vermüllt, dreckig und stinkend begann, mit zunehmender Meeresnähe immer weniger vermüllt wurde, wir an einem Kraftwerk vorbeischipperten und sich dann zwischen zwei Felsvorsprüungen weißer Sandstrand mit tiefblauem Wasser auftat. Es war wie im Film. Am Strand trieben sich ebenfalls obdachlose Hunde und Hähne für die philippinischen Hinterhofhahnenkämpfe herum. 50 m hinter der Küstenlinie begannen sich wieder Müllberge aufzutürmen, aber man sollte auf’s Wasser schauen, nicht in die Palmenplantagen dahinter. Ein wunderschöner Vormittag am Badestrand – nahezu ohne andere Menschen – ging zu Ende und wir fuhren wieder zurück.

VENGEANCE TODAY tour diary - beach near Pagbilao

Noch kurz was essen, ins Internetcafè und ab in die Lodge. Unser Flieger nach Surabaya geht 07:35 am morgen und wir brauchen circa 3-4 Stunden zum Flughafen. Demnach begaben wir uns am Nachmittag ins Bett, damit wir gegen Mitternacht von Neil’s Vater zum Flughafen gefahren werden konnten. Dort kamen wir gegen 3 an und mussten noch ein wenig bis zum Check In warten. Jetzt sitzen wir in Kuala Lumpur am Flughafen und warten darauf, dass der Flieger nach Surabaya/ Indonesien bald startet.

Dienstag, 17. März 2015 – 11:09 – Ortszeit Jakarta

Led Zeppelin IV heißt der Soundtrack zu dem ich das letzte Kapitel schreibe. Von Indonesien wurde uns im Vornherein viel erzählt. Es kämen 500 Leute zu den Shows, die Kids würden mega freidrehen, es wäre schweinischst heißt und mega dreckig. Nachdem unser mit hustenden alten Menschen und mit 5000 Einkaufstüten ausgerüsteter Flieger in Surabaya landete, sahen wir vorerst weder Dreck, noch bekamen wir die schweinische Hitze zu spüren. Ebenso den Veranstalter bekamen wir den Abend nicht zu spüren. Nicht weil er nicht anwesend war, sondern weil er sich offenbar komplett rar machte was Kommunikation und Organisation betraf. Als wir am Flughafen ankamen, wartete der junge Herr, der nicht ganz gut roch, schon auf uns. Während wir alle freundlich “Hallo” sagten und uns vorstellten, verzog er keine Miene und schaute einfach wie “Fahrt bitte sofort weiter Richtung Hölle”. Bis zur Location sollte er nur zwei wirkliche Sätze mit uns reden. Der erste war die Frage “Wie wollt ihr zur Location fahren? Mit Taxi oder mit Auto?”. Nachdem wir ihm sagten, dass wir keine Ahnung haben und die billigse Variante bevorzugen würden, tippte er kurz auf seinem Handy rum. Wir sagten ihm wir haben kein indonesisches Geld. Daraufhin sollte der zweite Satz folgen, den er bis zur Location mit uns sprach, nämlich “Tja, ich hab auch kein Geld.”. Völlig angepisst vom indonesischen Kommunikationsund Organisationstalent gingen wir Geld wechseln um das Auto zur Location zu bezahlen. Im Nachhinein betrachtet, mussten wir NIE unseren Transport von Flughafen zu Location zahlen. Der Veranstalter machte für uns einen guten Deal für das Auto aus – 300000 indonesischer Währung – das sind in etwa 25 €. Ein Drittel des Preises wäre normal gewesen, wie wir später erfahren sollten. Nach schweigsamer Fahrt kamen wir an der Location an. Es warteten schon einige Kids vor der Location – sicher 50 an der Zahl. Dieser füllten den Raum im Tonstudio auch ganz gut. Die Kids waren wieder freundlich wie Sau, begrüßten uns als wir ankamen und meterten bei der Show ganz gut rum. Trotzdem hatte man den Eindruck, dass die Leute schon übersättigter sind, was Bands von außerhalb angeht, als die Leute auf den Philippinen. Nachdem die Show unter “Okay” verbucht werden konnte, fuhr das Organisationsgenie weiter mit seinem Masterplan. Er teilte uns mit, dass die morgige Show in Malang, die auch er veranstaltete, bisher auf der Kippe steht, weil die Cops die Location dicht gemacht hätten, weil 2 Wochen vorher eine Schlägerei dort stattfand. Er meinte, er will nach einer Ersatzlocation suchen. Wir sollten eine Stunde warten. 10 Minuten bevor diese Stunde vorbei war, ging ich ihn fragen, wie es denn aussähe. Er meinte die Stunde sei noch nicht vorbei, ich solle in 10 Minuten nochmal wiederkommen. Anstatt sich um uns zu kümmern, saß der Typ am Eingang des Tonstudios und quatschte mit seinen Kumpels und ließ uns schön antanzen, wenn wir was wissen wollten. Wenigstens kaufte uns der Geizhals was zu essen. Nachdem die Stunde exakt vorbei war, ging Philipp runter zu ihm und kam mit der Neuigkeit wieder hoch “Die Ausweichlocation steht, nur die Miete müsse noch besprochen werden”. Wir schauten ihn entgeistert an und fragten ihn “Sollen wir etwa die Clubmiete zahlen?”. Im Allgemeinen kam es uns so vor, als hätte der Typ nur nach einer Ausrede gesucht und es gab von Anfang an keine Malang-Show. Werbung dafür hat man auch nirgends gesehen. Das finanzielle und organisatorische Risiko 3 Stunden mit dem Bus nach Malang zu rammeln, diesen bezahlen zu müssen, dann keine oder nur eine Scheiß Show vorzufinden und dann nachts 3 Stunden wieder zurück und im Anschluss direkt wieder zum Flughafen zu müssen, war uns einfach zu hoch. Fertig waren wir auch nach den letzten 20 Stunden Reise schon. So buchten wir uns für 2 Nächte ein 4 Sterne Hotel und chillten. Am spontanen Day Off kam keine Meldung vom Veranstalter, kein Entschuldigung für irgendwas. Offenbar hatten wir alles richtig gemacht die Show einfach sein zu lassen. So gammelten wir den ganzen Tag rum. Swimming Pool Sessions, Essen in Restaurants und Abends fanden Carsten und ich noch die asiatische Spielhölle #1 in der wir solange abnerdeten bis sie uns rausschmissen, weil die Mall schloss. Trotz der ausgefallenen Show war der Tag erholsam und einfach super. Von Dreck und übermäßiger Hitze in Indonesien konnte man bisher auch nichts spüren. Es war ähnlich wie Malysia. Nach unserem Day Off mussten wir wieder zeitig aufstehen, der Flug nach Jakarta ging gegen 8:00. Am Flughafen angekommen, mussten wir feststellen, dass unser Flug umgebucht wurde und erst 90 Minuten später ging. Also “genossen” wir die zusätzlichen 90 Minuten am Flughafen. Wenigstens gab es WiFi. In Jakarta angekommen, begann das süße Leben erneut. Man holte uns vom Flughafen ab mit 2 großen Autos. Lustige, nette, freundliche, gesprächige Jungs, endlich. Die Jungs fuhren uns ins Haus von Andri, wo wir die nächsten beiden Tage verbringen sollten. Dort angekommen, gab es Essen und wir konnten noch eine Runde schlafen, bevor wir zur Venue aufbrachen. Dort begrüßte uns wieder jeder mega freundlich, sie umarmten uns und hießen uns einfach sehr willkommen. Leider hab ich keinen Dunst, wieviele Bands an dem Abend geplant waren und wieviele spielten. Auf jeden Fall spielten wir irgendwie als viertletztes. Bei uns war der große Raum, in den bestimmt 300 Leute passten, ganz gut gefüllt. Etwa 100 Kids waren sicher am Start. Diese machten auch wieder gut Meter. Bei sXe Revenge war komplett Polen offen.


VENGEANCE TODAY live in Jakarta (3)

Nach der Show gab es wieder Essen. Die Jungs bezahlten wieder alles. Sie kutschierten uns in den Autos rum, bezahlten das Essen. Vermutlich sollte der Typ aus Surabaya auf die No-Go-Liste der Hardcore Typen gesetzt werden, ähnlich wie andere Leute, die ich hier jetzt nicht erwähnen werde. Nach der Show fuhren wir wieder zurück in Andris Haus und pennten. Am nächsten Tag standen wir gegen 11:00 auf, machten uns fertig und taten den typischen Touri-Stuff. Was angucken, Souvenirs kaufen und natürlich die Hauptbeschäftigung desjenigen, der in Jakarte wohnt: Im Stau stehen. Von den 8 Stunden, die wir insgesamt unterwegs waren, standen wir sicher 3 im Stau. Gegen 20:00 waren wir wieder im Haus, chillten und aßen Durian, die Frucht, die nach Scheiße riecht. Die Jungs sagten ihnen schmeckt die Frucht, also probierten wir sie. Sie sah aus wie eine Riesengroße Litschi, die Konsistenz war ähnlich wie die einer Avocado, nachdem man die stachlige Schale abmachte, roch die Frucht wirklich nach Scheiße und leider Gottes schmeckte sie auch abgeschwächt danach. Nach einem Bissen musste ich das Ding wieder hinlegen. Danach gingen wir pennen. Früh um 5 fuhren uns die Jungs zum Flughafen und wir verabschiedeten uns. Gegen 20:00 – nach 18 Stunden Reise – werden wir in München ankommen. Dort holt uns Danny von Contrasts / Choke Records ab, fährt uns zu Christoph von Contrasts und dort werden wir pennen. Morgen früh geht es dann mit dem Zug zurück nach Chemnitz.

Rückblickend lässt sich sagen, dass eine Tour dieser Art echt der Next-Level Shit ist. Man musste aufgrund der Gepäck-Begrenzungen an soviel im Vornherein denken. Soviel, dass das Packen an sich schon die Laune vermieste. Normalerweise ist man es gewöhnt seinen Scheiß in eine Tasche zu schmeißen, Schlafsack drauf, rein in den Bus, fertig. So einfach war es hier leider nicht. Dennoch: Nahezu überall waren die Veranstalter super. Die asiatische Mentalität ist zwar etwa langsam und wirklich böse ist keiner auf den anderen, wenn etwas schief läuft. Bei nahezu keiner Show mussten wir irgendwelche Kosten tragen – Die Einnahmen aus Merch und einigen Konzerten ließen es zu, dass wir nahezu ohne private Finanzaufwendung leben konnten. Die Leute sind mega dankbar, dass Bands von sonstwoher zu ihnen kommen, ganz im Gegenteil zu Deutschland. Die Leute haben irgendwie mehr Bock und geben einem das Gefühl des Willkommen Seins. Die Shows in Singapur, Pagbilao und Jakarta waren einfach richtig gut. Die bestbesuchteste war dabei wohl die in Pagbilao auf den Philippinen, bei der unter der Woche sicher 130 Leute aufkreuzten. Auch an die durchgängigen 35 °C hat man sich nach guten 2 Wochen irgendwie gewöhnt. Also Asien, gerne wieder! Und ja: Das Klischee, dass man in Asien NUR Reis isst, stimmt. xVTx 2k15.


[email protected]

Previous Story

DESAPARECIDOS release first album in 13 years!

Next Story

MODERN LIFE IS WAR streaming a song off their upcoming “Witness” 10 Year Anniversary Reissue