As the official bridge Nine Records’ press release says, “it was hard to fathom Italy’s HIEROPHANT harnessing the potential to create a record heavier and more malicious than 2012’s “Great Mother : Holy Monster”, an already pummeling whiplash of American D-beat-inflected metallic hardcore. “Peste” manages just that as a superior, succinctly crushing assault, its tendencies largely erring on the side of European death metal. HIEROPHANT spell out the desolation and desperation leveled by a war amid the id, ego and super-ego, all torturous, violent imagery and morbid, damning assertions that make it a pleasantly grim nightmare to suffer through.”
I am honored to welcome HIEROPHANT to IDIOTEQ’s interview roster and present you my quick chat with Lorenzo. Watch the video below and scroll down to be infected by the “Plague”!
1. Hey there! What’s up? Thanks so much for doing this cool feature for IDIOTEQ! How are you?
2. Looking at the cover art for your upcoming album “Peste”, I simply can’t wait to hear what you have prepared! Do you consider this new LP a huge milestone for the band? How do you think the group has progressed over these couple of years of working together?
3. Can you expound more on the cover art for the record? Who’s Danielle Castellano and whose idea was it to present this concept?
4. How would you compare the recording process of this new record to the time spent working on “Great Mother : Holy Monster”?
5. Did you go into the studio with the idea of experimenting with certain sounds or going more extreme? Or was it organic once you got there? What was the aesthetic that you attempted to achieve?
6. How do you guys manage to fuse all these different subgenres and extreme music elements into cohesive material? What are some of your inspirations?
7. Are there any lyrics in particular, that really stand out to you on the new record?
8. Ok, so what are you plans for taking this new offering to the people and giving us hell live on stage? Are there any dates coming up?
9. Being on the B9 roster, aren’t you tempted to hit American roads and support the new album overseas?
10. Ok Lorenzo, so what are your favorite Italian acts worth checking out?
11. By the way your local scene, are there many opportunities for Italian DIY bands locally?
12. Ok, so I guess that’s it from me. Anything else we may have forgotten you want to touch on?
13. Thanks so much for your time, I appreciate the opportunity. Best of luck in the future.
HIEROPHANT on tour:
05-12 Bronson, Ravenna, Italy “Peste Release Party” *
19-12 La Zone, Liege, Belgium
20-12 Vrankrijk, Amsterdam, Holland
21-12 Pits, Kortrijk, Belgium
Jenuary 2015 w/Bastions
20-01 Stag & Hound, Bristol, UK
21-01 The Old Blue Last, London, UK
22-01 Sticky Mikes, Brighton, UK
23-01 Wheatsheaf, Oxford, UK
February 2015 w/Mutilation Rites
04-02 LoFi, Milano, Italy
05-02 tbc, France
06-02 tbc, Spain
07-02 Burning Light Fest, Lisboa, Portugal
09-02 tbc, Spain
10-02 tbc, France
11-02 tbc, France
12-02 Het Bos, Antwerp, Belgium
13-02 d8’s, Utrecht, Holland
14-02 Galore, Hamburg, Germany
16-02 K818, Copenhagen, Denmark
17-02 Cassiopeia, Berlin, Germany
18-02 tbc, Prague, Czech Rep
19-02 Durer Kert, Budapest, Hungary
20-02 Ann and Pat, Linz, Austria
21-02 Le Romandie, Losanna, Switzerland
22-02 Freakout, Bologna, Italy
* w/Lantern,Tumulto,Il Ghiaccio