A couple of months after our recent funny interview with Chicago’s ear-shatterers CROWNING, we’re back with a follow up video interrogation of their partners in crime, New Zealand’s SWALLOW’S NEST, who were so kind to talk about the DIY punk and screamo scene in New Zealand, their relationship with Dave Norman of the almighty Zegema Beach Records, and more! Apart from the interview, we have a new live video for the band’s song “The Stork and the Pelican” that will be out on their 4-song cassette at the end of the year. Check it out and see more videos from their last show with Dave below.
The CROWNING / SWALLOWS NEST split is out now via Zegema Beach Records, Time As A Color, Dingleberry Records, IFB Records, and 3 Nines Compact Cassettes. Catch the band live in Dunedin this Saturday, August 25th, alongside Long Distance Runner (members of Parents, How Get, Human Resource, and Sere), Sheep, and Raining. RSVP here.
1. Hey there guys! Thanks so much for joining us here on IDIOTEQ and serving us a natural follow-up to our recent entertaining video interview with your pals from CROWNING :) How are you? How’s Dunedin?
2. Ok, so tell us a bit your local DIY punk scene. For how long have you been involved?
3. Can you give us an overview of the current DIY punk and screamo scene in New Zealand?
4. How do you feel is the classic 90s/early 00s screamo still shaping the modern screamo scene today? What are your thoughts on the evolution of the genre?
5. Do you have your own favorite landmark records that you feel are crucial and essential for the genre?
6. How about some newer offerings? What recent records have you praised and you think should be remembered for years to come?
7. Ok, so speaking about legacies and remembering those who contributed, how did you meet up with Dave Norman of Zegema Beach Records? Is he still a member of the band?
8. Do you know more Daves? Promoters and engaged preachers that keep the spirit up and energize some segments or areas of DIY arts?
9. What’s your take on being in a band and balancing committment to your everyday tasks, family, and friends? What does DIY punk mean to you personally?
10. Alright guys, so I guess we’ve pretty much covered most of the issues I’d like to ask you guys about. What is in store for the future of SWALLOW’S NEST?
11. Great, thanks so much! Best of luck and cheers for your time. The last words are yours.
Official music video for “Apathy as an Infinite Manifestation” by SWALLOWS NEST from their split cassette with Milwaukee screamo act SNAG:
Live videos from the SWALLOW’S NEST fundraiser at The Crown Hotel on December 1st, 2017 in Dunedin, New Zealand: