Daniel Albaugh of Houston metallic hardcore band DIE YOUNG has teamed up with IDIOTEQ to discuss the band’s most pessimistic record thus far, the world’s struggles, animal cruelty, being vegan, trying to put some dialogue and get the people involved in the discussion on how to make our world a better place. Watch below and scroll down to losten to the new record and see the band’s upcoming tour dates!
Photo by Dante Torrieri / BlowTheScene.
1. Hey Daniel! It’s so good to have you back in our pages. How are you? How’s this fine summer been treating you so far?
2. Yeah, there is so much amazing stuff around DIE YOUNG this year. Let’s start off with some of the early 2016 news. Tell us a bit about your signing with Good Fight, what it means to you and what plans have you agreed upon in this contract?
3. Tell me more about the long hard road leading up to the premiere of this record. How was the writing and recording process for ‘No Illusions’?
4. Apart from a couple of September shows in TX, OK and TN, are there plans to hit the road big time later this year or early 2017? Also, can we expect some European appearances?
5. Ok Daniel, back to the record, lyrically, what was the inspiration for that particular work?
6. We see lines of tensions between all kinds of international spaces these days. Do you feel inspired by some of social and political struggles that reveal the weakness of humans? Which of the current environmental and other world problems worry you the most and urge you to act, also through your music?
7. Politics-wise, can you describe the current pre-election situation in the States? How do the tensions around it affect you and your friends? Is there some kind of a split between supporters of both sides?
8. Many people think of responsibility as an obligation. Can you expand on the relevance and importance of voting in formulating new solutions yo current problems and making the world better. Given the whole Trump circus, do you see voting as a crucial tool to the validity of your country’s constitution?
9. How do you feel the presidential race has changed over the years?
10. Based on your knowledge, what do you think is likely to happen following the upcoming elections?
11. In our last interview, asked about your goals, you stated that you’re ‘just going to put it all out there, because that’s what [you are] compelled to do.’: “I want to talk about suffering, not just our own suffering but the way it relates to others that we know and don’t know. Empathy is of great importance. I want to talk about introspection and self-growth. And I want to talk about making positives out of all the negatives around us.”
12. Have you been on that mission since 2013? What have you managed to create and develop to fulfil this mission? Also, what new perspectives did you gain from these recent years following your comeback in 2013?
13. Ok Daniel, let’s close this interview with something more optimistic than all the sufferings of the world :) Can you elaborate on an example of an amazing vegan dish you recently had? Feel free to add some thoughts on being vegan for so many years.
14. Thanks so much for your time! Cheers from Warsaw!
DIE YOUNG’s new record ‘No Illusions’:
Fifteen tracks in all, No Illusions is a ripping, raging account of Die Young’s metallic hardcore sound, seasoned as it is by more than a decade’s worth of touring the world and honing its vision. Led by vegan straightedge frontman Daniel Albaugh, Die Young explores a worldview that is both compassionate and nihilistic, from veganism to atheism, and the band kicks out jams that nod to a range of heroes: from Slayer’s apocalyptic thrash and Bolt Thrower’s battleground laments, to Cro-Mags’ snarling crossover and Earth Crisis’ militant stance. Occasional acoustic passages and female vocals add a whole extra dimension.
Sep 10 – Fort Worth, TX @ 1919 Hemphill
Sep 16 – Houston, TX @ Satellite Bar
Sep 17 – Oklahoma City, OK @ 89th Street Collective w/ Sentenced to Burn
Sep 18 – Memphis, TN @ Hi-Tone w/ Sentenced to Burn
Oct 22 – Oakland, CA @ Crate w/ Wake of Humanity
Oct 24 – Las Vegas, NV @ Womb Room w/ Wake of Humanity
Oct 25 – Salt Lake City, UT @ Beehive Social Club w/ Wake of Humanity
Oct 26 – Portland, OR @ Black Water Bar w/ Wake of Humanity
Oct 27 – Olympia, WA @ Obsidian w/ Wake of Humanity
Oct 28 – Vancouver, BC @ 333 w/ Wake of Humanity
Oct 29 – Seattle, WA @ El Corazon w/ Himsa, Wake of Humanity
Nov 6 – Austin, TX @ Sound on Sound Festival w/ Carcass, Baroness, Young Thug
GO HERE to read our first interview with Daniel, conducted in late 2013.